Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Anodized Titanium

Vespa Neon









The way I got it




First step of anodizing, sorry for the blurry pic


 Before stonewashing




Malyshev Gnome


Vanilla



Feeling blue



Stonewashed


Colorful clip


Apocalyptic with thinned out leaf blade



...and added oping nicks





TiLock 

Made in China - same original as the "gold bar" but very well made nonetheless (and without false markings)




All you need to anodize titanium (for green you'd need 10 to 13 pieces of 9V batteries though)





I had to file in a step at the backside of the clip to prevent it slipping out of my pocket


So I've lost the clip on job while playing with the knife on job. Had to make another one. Next step, anodizing.




Mnand clone with bronzed hardware






Stonewashed, before anodizing and heat coloring of the steel clip1


8 comments:

  1. Should have picked up a KJ tilock when they were still available. Gorgeous work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, I'm glad I've bought it back then when I had the $140 for it ;)
      I'd still like to try the real one though.

      Delete
    2. Btw, I feel I want to re-anodize the TiLock, do you have a good idea for the colors?

      Delete
    3. I would personally go for green handles and bronze hardware

      Delete
  2. May biggest problem with the TiLock is the stop pin. It's pressed in and difficult to cover while anodizing. Steel draws a lot of current leaving a mark around it. Right now I have many other unfinished projects though, so maybe this will be done in some months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm I see I see. But the stop pin is kind of bronze-ish so I guess it helps. Gotta start learning how to anodize as well. What electrolyte are you using?

      Delete
    2. You always have to cover non-removable steel with nail polish or such because otherwise it will get rough from etching and the colors will look weird around them.
      I used baking soda before but it's not so easy to dissolve it in cold water so I'd do that in a small pot of warm water and put it then into the water (pros recommend distilled water, I never tried that).
      Right now I'm using cheap rust remover. Smells like toilet cleaner but it's working well due to the phosphoric acid in it. Coke contains that as well so you could use it, too.

      Delete
  3. for Chris Ng...Tilock has been rereleased in m390...check out ChinaHighEndEDC on DHgate. I'm sure everyone will be selling them shortly.

    ReplyDelete