Thursday, March 15, 2018

Slightly modded Spyderco Caly3



This is how I got it



It was ok, but not what I'd expect in this price range. It is a great knife for sure, it holds a fine edge for a very long time and it opens and closes super smoothly without a drop of oil

On the other hand the scales were dull, the edges straight, the pivot not even countersunk.
And I couldn't attach a lanyard

So first I rounded the edges with sandpaper and sanded the scales and the pinds with a scotchpad





Then I've found a link about how to make a lanyard hook - the skull had to go though




First etch test - I don't have a clue why it didn't etch towards the spine, only the ricasso was protected with nail polish



The etched and stonewashed finish was too rough and sticky for my taste



So back to the buffing wheel, now I like it


It's not really worth it though to stonewash it. The sides of the blade are made of  420J2 steel which is very soft.
It scratches from opening and closing, that's ok on a lockback, but it also does so from normal carry

Anyways, it's my favourite work knife as it holds a good edge with abbrasive materials like shoe soles and it lays in medium sized hands like made for them. The only thing that bugs me is the slight horizontal blade play, as far as I know that's to be expected on lockbacks

No comments:

Post a Comment